Monday, September 24, 2007

MoonCake

I must remember not to buy piglets for my nephews again! It’s a ritual that I’ll perform every year that it failed to register in my mind that they dun like the pastry… only for 1 particular year; I think it was in 2002 or 2003; the piglet from Maxim, Hong Kong remains the best savored piglet by them ever.

I was in Hong Kong during the Mid-Autumn Festival period and bought back lots of yummy pastry from Kee Wah (奇华) and not forgetting mooncakes from Maxim (Mei Xin 美心). The traditional, luxurious, and much-coveted white lotus seed paste mooncake is the best mooncake that I’ve ever had. My family couldn’t get enough of it.


Although the mooncake makers here have cut down tremendously the sugar level in the mooncake and made them more ‘edible’ over the last few years, I find that a lot of improvement still needs to be done to enhance the taste.

Maxim's remains my favorite followed by Lavender.

This year, so far I have tried mooncake from Raffles The Plaza, Bengawan solo and Lavender.


Goodwood Park Piglets. Bought 3 @ $4.50 each.
I took 1 of the pig basket (猪笼) for my 2 little golden pigs.

Red bean paste Lavendar mooncake.

No comments: